THE MARINE MAMMAL COMMISSION COMPENDIUM
MULTILATERAL / FISHERIES
Volume(s) 1-3; pages 1168-1169
Protocol to the International Convention for the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries, Relating to Measures of Control, Washington, 1965
Done at Washington 29 November 1965
Entered into force 19 December 1969 except for Article II, which did not enter into force**( This Protocol was terminated on 31 December 1979.>
Primary source citation: 21 UST 576, TIAS 6841
PROTOCOL TO THE INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION FOR THE NORTHWEST ATLANTIC FISHERIES, RELATING TO MEASURES OF CONTROL
The Governments parties to the International Convention for the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries signed at Washington under date of February 8, 1949, which Convention, as amended, is hereinafter referred to as the Convention, desiring to provide for national and international measures of control on the high seas for the purposes of ensuring the application of the Convention and the measures in force thereunder, agree as follows:
Paragraph 5 of Article VIII of the Convention is amended by adding the following:
‘and may also, on its own initiative, make proposals for national and international measures of control on the high seas for the purposes of ensuring the application of the Convention and the measures in force thereunder.’
Paragraph 8 of Article VIII of the Convention is amended by adding the following:
‘or, in the case of proposals made under paragraph 5 above, from all Contracting Governments.’
1. This Protocol shall be open for signature and ratification or approval or for adherence on behalf of any Government party to the Convention.
2. This Protocol shall enter into force on the date on which instruments of ratification or approval have been deposited with, or written notifications of adherence have been received by, the Government of the United States of America, on behalf of all the Governments parties to the Convention; provided, however, that Article II of this Protocol shall enter into force only if the Protocol Relating to Entry into Force of Proposals adopted by the Commission, done at Washington on November 29, 1965, has not entered into force and shall, in such case, continue in force only until that Protocol enters into force.
3. Any Government becoming a party to the Convention after this Protocol enters into force shall adhere to this Protocol, such adherence to be effective on the same date that such Government becomes a party to the Convention.
4. The Government of the United States of America shall inform all Governments signatory or adhering to the Convention of all ratifications and approvals deposited and adherences received and of the date this Protocol enters into force.
1. The original of this Protocol shall be deposited with the Government of the United States of America, which Government shall communicate certified copies thereof to all the Governments signatory or adhering to the Convention.
2. This Protocol shall bear the date on which it is opened for signature and shall remain open for signature for a period of fourteen days thereafter, following which period it shall be open for adherence.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned, having deposited their respective powers, have signed this Protocol.
DONE at Washington this twenty-ninth day of November 1965, in the English language.