THE MARINE MAMMAL COMMISSION COMPENDIUM
MULTILATERAL / FISHERIES
Volume(s) 1-3; pages 1166-1167
Protocol to the International Convention for the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Relating to Entry into Force of Proposals Adopted by the Commission, Washington, 1965
Done at Washington 29 November 1965
Entered into force 19 December 1969**( This Protocol was terminated on 31 December 1979.>
Primary source citation: 21 UST 567, TIAS 6840
PROTOCOL TO THE INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION FOR THE NORTHWEST ATLANTIC FISHERIES RELATING TO ENTRY INTO FORCE OF PROPOSALS ADOPTED BY THE COMMISSION
The Governments parties to the International Convention for the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries signed at Washington under date of February 8, 1949, which Convention, as amended, is hereinafter referred to as the Convention, desiring to facilitate the entry into force of proposals adopted by the Commission, agree as follows:
Paragraphs 7 and 8 of Article VIII of the Convention shall be amended to read as follows:
‘7. (a) Each proposal made by the Commission under paragraphs 1 or 5 of this Article shall become effective for all Contracting Governments six months after the date on the notification from the Depositary Government transmitting the proposal to the Contracting Governments, except as otherwise provided herein.
‘(b) If any Contracting Government participating in the Panel or Panels for the sub-area or sub-areas to which a proposal applies, or any Contracting Government in the case of a proposal made under paragraph 5 above, presents to the Depositary Government objection to any proposal within six months of the date on the notification of the proposal by the Depositary Government, the proposal shall not become effective for any Government for an additional sixty days. Thereupon any other Contracting Government participating in the Panel or Panels concerned, or any other Contracting Government in the case of a proposal made under paragraph 5 above, may similarly object prior to the expiration of the additional sixty-day period, or within thirty days after receiving notice of an objection by another Contracting Government made within such additional sixty days, whichever date shall be the later. The proposal shall become effective for all Contracting Governments except those Governments which have presented objections, at the end of the extended period or periods for objecting. If, however, objections have been presented by a majority of Contracting Governments participating in the Panel or Panels concerned, or by a majority of all Contracting Governments in the case of a proposal made under paragraph 5, the proposal shall not become effective unless any or all of the Contracting Governments nevertheless agree as among themselves to give effect to it on an agreed date.
‘(c) Any Contracting Government which has objected to a proposal may at any time withdraw that objection and the proposal shall become effective with respect to such Government, immediately if the proposal is already in effect, or at such time as it becomes effective under the terms of this Article.
‘8. The Depositary Government shall notify each Contracting Government immediately upon receipt of each objection and of each withdrawal of objection, and of the entry into force of any proposal.’
1. This Protocol shall be open for signature and ratification or approval or for adherence by any Government party to the Convention.
2. This Protocol shall enter into force on the date on which instruments of ratification or approval have been deposited with, or written notifications of adherence have been received by, the Government of the United States of America, from all the Governments parties to the Convention.
3. Any Government becoming a party to the Convention after this Protocol enters into force shall adhere to this Protocol, such adherence to be effective on the same date that such Government becomes a party to the Convention.
4. The Government of the United States of America shall inform all Governments signatory or adhering to the Convention of all ratifications or approvals deposited and adherences received and of the date this Protocol enters into force.
1. The original of this Protocol shall be deposited with the Government of the United States of America, which Government shall communicate certified copies thereof to all the Governments signatory or adhering to the Convention.
2. This Protocol shall bear the date on which it is opened for signature and shall remain open for signature for a period of fourteen days thereafter, following which period it shall be open for adherence.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned, having deposited their respective powers, have signed this Protocol.
DONE at Washington this twenty-ninth day of November 1965, in the English language.