THE MARINE MAMMAL COMMISSION COMPENDIUM
MULTILATERAL / FISHERIES
Volume(s) 1-3; pages 1163-1163
Declaration of Understanding Regarding the International Convention for the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries, Washington, 1961
Done at Washington 24 April 1961
*( This Declaration of Understanding was terminated on 31 December 1979.>
Primary source citation: 14 UST 924, TIAS 5380
DECLARATION OF UNDERSTANDING REGARDING THE INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION FOR THE NORTHWEST ATLANTIC FISHERIES
1. The Governments parties to the International Convention for the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries signed at Washington under date of February 8, 1949, which Convention is hereinafter referred to as the Convention, hereby declare their understanding that the words ‘fish’, ‘fishes’, ‘fishery’, ‘fisheries’, and ‘fishing’ as they appear in the Convention include and apply to mollusks, as well as finny fish.
2. Governments parties to the Convention may become parties to the present Declaration by:
(a) Signature without reservation as to acceptance;
(b) Signature with reservation as to acceptance, followed by acceptance; or
3. Acceptance shall be effected by written notification to the Government of the United States of America.
4. This Declaration shall enter into force on the date upon which all the Governments parties to the Convention have become parties to this Declaration. Any Government becoming a party to the Convention after this Declaration enters into force shall accept this Declaration, such acceptance to be effective on the same date that such Government becomes a party to the Convention.
5. The Government of the United States of America shall inform all Governments signatory or adhering to the Convention of all signatures and acceptances of this Declaration and of the date upon which this Declaration enters into force.
6. The original of this Declaration shall be deposited with the Government of the United States of America, which Government shall communicate certified copies thereof to all the Governments signatory or adhering to the Convention.
7. This Declaration shall bear the date on which it is opened for signature and shall remain open for signature or acceptance for a period of fourteen days thereafter, following which period it shall remain open for acceptance.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned, being duly authorized thereto by their respective Governments, have signed this Declaration.
DONE at Washington this twenty-fourth day of April 1961, in the English language.